Nose surgery also known as “rhinoplasty” is a popular surgical procedure designed to aesthetically enhance the size and shape of the nose and/or correct breathing problems associated with the nasal passage. As the central feature of the face, the nose plays a significant role in determining overall facial harmony. Rhinoplasty helps create a nose that is in balance with the rest of the face by correcting the unsatisfactory results of genetic deformities or traumatic nasal injuries.
How can rhinoplasty improve my nose?
Rhinoplasty is one of the most popular procedures in all of plastic surgery because of its ability to enhance facial harmony. A well balanced and aesthetically proportionate nose will enhance your appearance and increase your confidence. Rhinoplasty can also alleviate problems associated with nasal breathing. When formulating his operative plan, Dr. Knowling has an appreciation for the patients’ anatomy and their aesthetic concerns. Cosmetic or reconstructive nasal surgery can effectively achieve the following:
- Reduce the overall size of the nose
- Smooth out bumps and/or depressions on the bridge of the nose
- Narrow the bridge of the nose
- Change the size or shape of the tip of the nose
- Widen or narrow the size of the nostrils
- Adjust the angle between the nose and upper lip
- Straighten the septum to improve breathing
- Performed under general anesthesia
- Incision is made across the columella (between the nasal openings)
- Allows the most visibility for Dr. Knowling during the procedure
- Alterations that improve nasal breathing can be performed at the time of cosmetic rhinoplasty (placement of nasal spreader grafts), and is covered by some insurance plans
- Performed under either intravenous sedation or general anesthesia
- Incisions are made on the inside of the nose
- Shorter surgical and recovery time
A. No, Anesthesia is administered throughout the entire procedure, so patients do not have to worry about feeling any pain or discomfort during surgery.
A. Nose surgery generally takes two or three hours to perform, although the exact amount of time needed for surgery will depend on the specific corrections that need to be made.
A. Rhinoplasty is usually performed on an outpatient basis. However, because you will still be under the effects of anesthesia after surgery, you will need someone to drive you home and assist you the day of surgery.
A. Surgical procedures that require incisions generally leave some extent of scarring. However, incisions will be placed inside of the nose or on the columella, (between the nostrils) to ensure scarring is as inconspicuous as possible.
A. Stitches are typically removed six or seven days after surgery.
A. Most patients will need about one week of downtime to recover from rhinoplasty, after which time they generally feel good enough to return to work. However, strenuous exercises and physical activities should be avoided until after Dr. Knowling determines that your nose has healed properly at a follow-up appointment.
A. The results of nose surgery will become more evident as swelling goes down over the coming weeks and months. It may take up to a year to see the final results of your rhinoplasty.
Have additional questions about the Nose Surgery (Rhinoplasty) in Huntsville, AL procedure? Schedule a Consultation with Dr. Knowling for further information.